Michael Schmidt OBE FRSL is a literary historian, poet, novelist and translator. He is founder (1969) and editorial and managing director of Carcanet Press Limited, the general editor of PN Review, Professor of Poetry at the University of Glasgow and Writer in Residence at St John’s College, Cambridge. In 2006 he was awarded an O.B.E. for services to Poetry.
He was born in 1947 in Mexico and raised there. He studied at the Hill School in Pennsylvania, and then at Christ’s Hospital School in Sussex. He went to Harvard and completed his undergraduate studies at Wadham College, Oxford. At Oxford as an undergraduate he established what has become one of the leading poetry publishing houses in Britain, Carcanet Press.
Schmidt became a writer, editor and teacher.
- The Stories of My Life, Smith/Doorstop, 2013
- Collected Poems, Smith/Doorstop, 2009
- New Poetries V (2011)
- Five American Poets, Carcanet, 2010
- The Great Modern Poets, Quercus, 2006
- Flower & Song: Nahuatl Poetry (with Edward Kissam), Anvil, 1977, 2010
Literary History and Criticism
- Lives of the Ancient Poets: The Greeks, Weidenfeld, Knopf, 2004, 2005
- Lives of the Poets, Weidenfeld, Knopf, 1998, 1999
- The Novel: A Biography, Harvard University Press, 2014